Thursday, March 21, 2019

The One About the Wilderness...and a Marriage Proposal



Bay and I thoroughly enjoyed our educational tour of Israel.

However, twelve full (and I mean full: from early morning until dark-thirty) on-the-go days with good teaching, teaching, and more teaching interspersed throughout each day, and, this old-lady-brain is crammed with information.

Our teacher broke the bread of "five loaves" and divided up "two fishes" among us, and we ate until we were more than satisfied, with twelve baskets left over (spiritually speaking, of course).


Little by little, all that information is coming back to me.

A smidgen at a time, I am processing it all (just a heads up: if you are ever going to Israel, take three days at the end just for going back over notes and pictures...no one told me the extent of the OVER-LOAD!)

Little by little, as I read through the Gospels, a word, or a phrase, or the memory of a place springs forth TRUTH learned.

Every lesson that comes back to mind is a meaningful Lenten reflection.

The past couple of weeks have been good for my soul.

There has been some sweeping out to do.

In fact, there have been days where I wish I could hire a house-keeper for my heart, instead of having to do the cleaning myself.

Is that I thing, I wonder?
(Oh, wait, isn't that the Holy Spirit's job?)

This week's walk through the Gospels caused me to pause at another word - a word I experienced in Israel:

Wilderness


During his lifetime, Jesus often went into the wilderness to pray.

The Holy Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness following His baptism in the Jordan by John.


Speaking of - John the Baptist's ministry was primarily in the wilderness, and people flocked to him from Jerusalem, and all over the country-side.

The Apostle Paul went into the wilderness to be taught by Jesus - for three years, he lived and learned in that barren place.


Of course, the Israelites, as Moses led them to the Promised Land, spent 40 years in Wilderness Waiting, until the Lord gave them a nod. Permission was finally granted, now under the leadership of Joshua, to enter the Land of Milk and Honey.

XXXXX

We saw a lot of wilderness on our trip.

It looked as you would anticipate.

Barren.


Empty.

Rocky.

Steep, difficult places to climb.


Dry.

Hotter than hades in certain seasons.

Quite often without springs of living water to quench one's thirst.

XXXXX

I've found myself in barren places.

I've traveled the wilderness.

It's not a pleasant place to wander...or wait.


Especially, wait.

Most likely, you can relate.

You've been there, too.

Together, we understand why the Israelites complained.

We know why they cried out to Moses about not having any living water to drink.

Barren places cause our souls to dry up, as well; and, when the soul is dusty the mind runs rampant in all directions.

It's quite easy to become the victim.

It's not difficult to forget from where we've come, to where we're going...

...and, it's even easier to forget the One WHO brought us out.

Trust slims.

"Giants-in-the-land" seem intimidating, and, well, extremely frightening.

But, wilderness waitings are oft used by the Lord.

Sometimes, even God ordained.

(Side note: God didn't ordain the 40 years of waiting...that was the consequence of stubborn hearts...but He did lead them there initially.)

Why?

Why would God allow His people, His beloved children, to experience the wilderness?


This was a good lesson to re-learn;
and, it came with a little twist.

In Hebrew, the word for wilderness is "midbar."

The root word in "midbar" is "dabar."  "Dabar," defined is "to speak a word, to tell, to declare, to promise."

It's a brilliant lesson.

God often brings his people into the "midbar" to give them a "dabar."

Did you follow?

God gives His people seasons in the wilderness, because He has a special word for them.

Sometimes, attached to the lesson is a rich promise: a new land, a new season, a new hope, a new __________________ (something else). Maybe even a new (or renewed) relationship.

Look at this passage in Hosea (God speaking to Israel through this prophet):

Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her.
There, I will give her vineyards, and make the Valley of Achor (means "trouble") a door of HOPE...and she will sing there.



...And, in that day, declares the Lord, you will call me, "My husband." ...And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love, and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. 
And you shall know the Lord.
Hosea 2:14-15a, 16, 19 (ESV)

Do you hear God's whisper of love?

The Word of the Lord that comes in the Wilderness is simply this:
"I love you. Marry me!" 


Ponder that with me this Lenten season...

Next time you find yourself in a spiritual wasteland...


1. Seek the Word of the Lord for you in that place - He's drawn you there for a purpose.
2. If He's gone to that much trouble to bring you there, He definitely longs to re-define your relationship.
3. Remember how much He loves you - He proved it in death and resurrection.
4. Renew your commitment of trust in Him.
5. Allow Him to love you fully.

AND, YOU SHALL KNOW the LORD.
(Know: this is the most intimate form of the word) 

In that wilderness place...may we be surprised, by discovering in Him the Spring of Living Water for our souls...


P.S. To the extent that we allow Him to love us, that is the extent of our trust in Him.

Bottom Line:

BE THANKFUL FOR THE WILDERNESS...

...You just might find a proposal there.

1 comment: