Thursday, July 18, 2019

Preach It! The Road to #bebrave


This week's "JUST A THOUGHT" is just a series of random #bebrave quotes.

Here's why...

A message I listened to this week made a mention ("in passing") about the importance of filling our minds with Scripture.

It detailed the journey from head to heart and out through our living (behavior).

As we know, in Paul's great poetic speech on dealing with anxiety (which can lead to full blown fear), he tells us this:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 
Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. 


The Lord is near; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 


What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.


The process from head-to-heart-to life can be slow.

But, a great way to speed up the process is to speak truth out loud!

Hear yourself saying God-Words over and over again ---- that's part of the "practice these things".

Hear yourself pray the truth back to Jesus.

Hear your words, and your heart will respond; because, when your heart hears the words, it knows there is mindfulness...

In return, conviction is on its way.

Saying the words of truth out loud is a way to declare war on fear.


So, here are a few quotes and verses to preach to your soul, on the road to #bebrave.


"Fear and worry are always fed by ignorance."
Ed Welch


"Worry is simply prayer in reverse."
Author Unknown


"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but empties today of its strength."
Charles Spurgeon


"Jesus never asked anyone to play it safe. We were born to be brave."  
Bob Goff



Hope is the only thing more powerful than fear...
Hunger Games

Courage is never without fear...
Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers...
Dorothy Bernard



Fear knocked at the door.
Faith answered, and found no one there.
-author unknown-


When troubled by fear and worry, 
Remind God what He has promised.
He can not lie!
He can not be untrue to His character.
He is always faithful.


Now then...here's an assignment I'm working on. It's an assignment for you, as well.  

Grab yourself some 3 X 5 cards.

Write on each card some "God Thoughts" from these statements above in regards to fear and anxiety.

Next time you feel those difficult-to-deal-with-emotions rolling over your soul, declare war!

Start going through your list of truths.

Some may be Scriptures.

Some may just be statements of fact.

But use them.

Preach 'em to yourself.

Often.

OUT LOUD!


These are a few of the ones I've started with...

1 comment:

  1. I’m obviously a little behind on your blogs but I wanted to tell you I love this one! For the past couple of years I’ve been using statements and verses like this to slow down my breathing and focus on God before I pray:

    Breathe in: “The Lord is my strength and my shield, Who shall I fear?”
    Breath out: “I will be still and wait upon the Lord”

    Breath in: “If the Lord had not been my help, my soul would have settled in silence”
    Breath out: “In the multitude of anxieties within me, your comfort delights my soul” Psalm 94:17 and 19

    Breath in: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Not as this world gives I give to you.”
    Breath out: “Therefore, let not your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” john 14:27

    Breath in: “Be anxious for nothing, but in all things, with prayer and supplication, make your requests be known to God.”
    Breath out: “And the Peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

    Now I can add more “God thoughts” to my meditation and prayer time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete