Thursday, October 17, 2019

Long Flights, Sabbath & "Seated with Christ"....#takeyourseat


My father-in-love's favorite book, written by Watchman Nee, summarized the Apostle Paul's letter to the Ephesians. Nee, a Chinese Bible Teacher, was arrested in 1952 on false charges, and imprisoned until his death in 1972. Penned while he languished inside a Chinese prison, "Sit, Walk, Stand" was, obviously, Nelson's go-to book. His copy was thoroughly underlined and so well-loved, with notes in the margins, that I had to purchase a fresh book off of Amazon.

(Two great books I've read as I've studied what it looks like to be "seated with Christ")

I certainly don't know why I hadn't invested the time to read it sooner.

The book is a jewel.

A rare treasure.

Simple, but profound.

Deep, but easy enough a new believer could pick up the concepts.

I've read and re-read it now several times.

It hit the mark in my soul, over and over again.

Spot on!

This is not a book report.

#####

Today, I begin my long series of flights to Tallinn, Estonia.


In a matter of days, I'll stand before a group of global workers (can't say the "m"-word, anymore), and share my stories of what it looks like to live hope to others around us who hopelessly can't envision a better tomorrow. In fact, some of these gals may find themselves in that very place.

We don't hear it often, but those who serve, often wear the biggest targets on their backs, and an unrelenting enemy never stops shooting his fiery darts their direction.


I know.

I've experienced those attacks.

#####

I've not been looking forward to the trip.

There's nothing glamorous about the travel-part.

However, this week, once again, I re-read "Sit, Walk, Stand," causing my perspective to change, and my appreciation for the journey to shift.

So, what does Nee offer up to make such a seismic alteration?

Simply this.

To my heart, these words resonated:

"Many Christians make the mistake of trying to walk (to go about living out the Christian life) in order to earn the right to sit. That is a reversal of the true order. Our natural reason says, "If we do not walk, how can we ever reach the goal? What can I possibly attain without effort? How can I ever get anywhere if I do not move?  

But Christianity is a paradoxical business.  If at the outset we try to do anything, we get nothing; if we seek to attain something, we miss everything.

Christianity
begins not with a big
DO, 
but with a big
DONE!"


I can not be on the run to Estonia (or on the fly), I must sit first.

Sit at the feet of my Jesus.

Sit in a position of rest.

Sit in the finished work of Jesus that allows Him to make all things ready for the ministry in Estonia.


To sit, in this case, is to Sabbath.


I think of Adam (not as in my son, Adam, but the first Adam).

This precious image-bearer was created on the sixth day.

That means Adam's first day was a Sabbath-day.

Adam didn't start by doing what he was purposed to do.

He started resting.


I needed to hear this from the Lord through Mr. Nee.

I have a whole lot of hours to Sabbath ahead of me today and into tomorrow.

I intend to rest with everything that is within me.

I'll cease striving.

My heart will seek to hear and to know God as He reveals Himself on the journey.

I'll worship more and worry none.

I'll surrender to what the Lord has in store, so that I will be fully AVAILABLE to be useful to Him when I arrive.

(Watchman Nee)

#####

I don't know about you.

Maybe you are working too hard to be the best Christian you can possibly be, spinning your spiritual wheels, burning the candle at both ends and really getting no where.

Take your seat!

Sabbath.

Rest.

Let God first work in you, before you begin to walk it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment