Thursday, June 11, 2020

Traveling Through (?)...And What To Do


Bay and I have agreed on this one thing lately - we've never been more thankful for a verse of Scripture, than this one above...

It's a good reminder. 

There is no question I love living in my country...

...and, I loved serving overseas in Kenya...

My blood runs a little red, white, and blue, as well as black, white-edged red, and green. 




I have been blessed to live in freedom in both countries.

Two mornings ago, I rode on horseback through the national forest behind our house --- the raw wild of where I live thrills my soul as I get to lope my little girl, Tali, in the open meadows.


The last time I was in Kenya, I longed to freeze time as I stood inside a Land Rover as we raced through the savanna on the trail of a cheetah about to take down what would be morning breakfast for her and her three babies - the warm sun on my face, hair blowing.

And, this morning, I will grab my paddle-board and thoroughly enjoy watching the sun rise further in the sky over the mountains on the stillness of a nearby lake...


These kinds of things are soul-therapy!

However, recent events continue to cause tension in my soul...

There's a lot happening across the country at a rapid-fire pace.

It's hard to keep up.

I don't like what I see.

But, I've found myself thankful for all that is going on.

Maybe not for reasons you would anticipate.


The tension has been good and here's why:

Lest I forget I am just a sojourner here and be tempted to shift my home-loyalty, the chaos of our world has secured my longing for my real home.


We used to sing it a lot when I was younger...

"This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through...
My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue...
The angels beckon me from heaven's open doors, 
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

Gotta admit; in those days, my heart wasn't buying into the words 100% (well, maybe, on occasion, sometimes...).

There were things I still wanted to do and see and enjoy in this world...

And now, even though there are things I still enjoy and things I want to do, those words resonate with my heart.

THIS WORLD IS NOT MY HOME!

I'm all in to this truth...

I'm ready for HOME. 

My permanent HOME.

I know this broken world will never be fully restored to healing, restoration, and justice...as long as there are evil hearts, it will just not happen.

So, I look forward to the place where "there are no tears; where death shall be no more; neither will there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore...for the former things have passed away (Revelation 21:4, ESV)."

Sounds pretty good to me!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not rushing my life on this planet.

As long as the Lord still has work for me here, I'm all in for that, too...

But, I won't be disappointed when my name is called "up yonder..."


So, in the meantime...until that day...what am I (what are we) called to do?

The answer is easy to give; the doing of the answer may be a bit more difficult; but, if you want to educate yourself on what your part in this crazy should be...look no further.

Peter, the Apostle of Jesus, tells us:

So, I urge you as sojourners and exiles...keep your conduct honorable, so that when anyone speaks against you as an evildoer, they may see your good deeds and glorify God...

Live as people who are free, and do not use your freedom to cover up evil...live as servants of God. Honor everyone (do you see that word? EVERY! ONE!). Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor (basilieus: the leader of the land).

Put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
(1 Peter 2:11-12, 16-17, 1-3)

Explore these verses with me...

This is our charge as Jesus-followers in a land in which we aren't to get too comfortable!

BUT, in them there is still remaining hope for this world!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you, my friend! My hubby was chatting with me about the Lord's return this week. My heart sank as I desperately want to see our grands, BUT, in that moment, our loving Lord asked me this question ~ Aren't I suppose to be your first love? Wow!!! Needed that adjustment and the above emphasized His grace, mercy and love to my heart as I once again shift my focus back to Him. Love you! Blesings!

    ReplyDelete