Thursday, December 16, 2021

My Story Matters (Women in the Lineage of Jesus): Bathsheba

The lineup of ladies in the lineage of Jesus is pretty unusual to say the least!   

We have Tamar – who prostituted herself to gain what was rightfully hers; 

Rahab – a prostitute who sheltered Israelite spies and bartered their safety for hers; 

Ruth – a Canaanite convert; and now, Bathsheba...  

I’ve spent a good deal of time reading the biblical narrative, as well as researching several books and commentaries.  No one seems to agree completely on how much blame to place on King David...  

All we know for a fact is that 

1) David wasn’t where he was supposed to be – he should have been at war like all the other kings; 

 

2)  He had knowledge of who Bathsheba was – after all, she was the grand-daughter of one of his most trusted advisors, the daughter of one of his 30 “mighty men”, and the wife of another one of the “30”; 

3) Bathsheba wasn’t exactly where she was supposed to be, either, as well as being indiscreet in the process; and 

4) According to 2 Samuel 11:4, she “came to him,” indicating a willingness, if you look closely into the Hebrew word used in the text. 

While David took the blame, neither could claim to be blameless (a little more on this, perhaps mid-week). 

The point is God doesn’t exactly pick the qualified, does He?  

When it comes to the work that He does on earth for His Kingdom, more often than not, He chooses the least likely.  

I’m so thankful...  


In my opinion, this is the lesson of Bathsheba.

God's strength made perfect in our weaknesses...our human frailties...for His glory!

God's grace overcoming our sinful selves...and using us in spite of us...

But, are there certain character traits God looks for when he picks vessels for Kingdom service?  

That has become the looming question as I study many of the heroes/heroines of Scripture. 

When we get to the life of Jesus’ mother next week, we’ll discuss the answer to this question in more detail.  

For now, I find myself overwhelmed that God has “picked me” with a specific purpose in mind. 

I, too, find traces of Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, and Bathsheba living inside of me. 

But, 

I have been given the same ultimate purpose as these women...you, too!  

To get the full picture we must go back in time...

Historically, kings were hand-picked by the "gods" (at least that’s what everyone believed).  

The king that the gods of the universe hand-picked were the ones who would best exemplify “tselem” (the Hebrew word for “made in the image of”).  

You see, these gods desired a man who would present to the world a picture of who they were: their character and nature...

The kings would be a "shadow, a shade" of the original god...
 
Selfishly, according to this belief system, the gods wanted the lower classes to see a human who mirrored their true ruler.  

And, only the kings, whom the gods put on the throne, could possibly “tselem,” and image the one who put him in power.  

But God changed everything with the Genesis account.  

As commoners began to read, and fully understand, what Genesis 1:26-27 meant, their lives were transformed.  


Everyone, no matter their class, was “tselem” (made in the image and likeness of God).  Do you see what this meant?
                
It gave value; “who I am” became clearly defined by "whose I am."

Not only “who I am,” but “what I do” as a result is fully evident. In other words:

The creation account revealed our destiny.


Why is this important?  

No matter how obscure I am, no matter how sinful, no matter what I have done; 

God’s plan for me is clear.

He placed His image in me, so the world can see who Rules my life; and, mirror His true character and nature....

I may get off track...

I may not be very talented...

I may be quite sinful...

But, this has nothing to do with my “qualifications” for service.  

It matters not how impressive my resume looks.  

Whose I am, and who I am as a result? 

Well, these form the basis of my qualification for service.  

God just looks at people quite differently than the rest of the world does when it comes to making His choice.

Once we get on board with His intentions for us.... His plans are unstoppable!

Question:  How’s God’s plan working through you today?




Prayer:  Father God, you who call the last people anyone would expect, here I am. As under-qualified as I feel to do anything for your world, help me to do the work for which I was created. Give me the courage to hear and answer your call.  Let me remember if you call, you equip.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment