Thursday, March 24, 2022

My Story Matters: The Samaritan Woman, Part 3 (On Leaving Her Water Jar...)

The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.”

Just then his disciples came back. They marveled that he was talking with a woman, but no one said, “What do you seek?” or, “Why are you talking with her?” 

So the woman left her water jar and went away into town and said to the people, “Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did. Can this be the Christ?” They went out of the town and were coming to him.

Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. And many more believed because of his word. They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.”

John 4:25-30, 39-42

These verses are my favorite part of this story... (here is where I relate to the story of The Samaritan Woman)...

After all the back and forth conversation, and what seems to be a lot of going in circles, Jesus declares His identity to our girl at the well.

In the Greek, here is how His statement reads: 

"I am - who speaks to you."

It's an interesting twist.

Everywhere else in John-the-Evangelist's gospel, the "I am" is followed by a description of self-identification...

    I am....the bread of life.

    I am...the good shepherd.

    I am...the light of the world.

    I am...the door.

    I am...the resurrection and the life.

But here, Jesus uses no predicate of self-identification...and, this dear woman understands immediately, when He says "I AM," that He is revealing His divine identity.

There is no question in her mind that Jesus is using the sacred name of Yahweh, which was uttered to Moses on Mount Sinai. 

...And she responds accordingly...with great excitement.

With her water jar left sitting on the ground by the well, unencumbered, she runs to town.

I am very aware that many commentators have made much over her leaving her jar...

    # representation, perhaps, of her old identity gone and her new identity come (2 Corinthians 5:17)...

    # representation of the subtle change from law to grace...

    # representation of her shame and entrapment exchanged to forgiveness and freedom...

But...in spite of my want-to to spin this action allegorically, I resist. 

I just don't know...and, the script isn't clear. 

But, this I can say, and I quote John Morris, 

"She abandoned the bringing of water for the bringing of men."

The Samaritan Woman knew she'd met the Messiah of the World.

Her encounter was immediately life-changing. 

Meeting Jesus is always TRANSFORMATIONAL! 

Her enthusiasm knew no bounds.

This is always true when we have a DIVINE ENCOUNTER WITH JESUS!

Our precious woman-at-the-well wanted everyone to know and experience the Savior, and so she offered the invitation, 

"Come, see..."

But, lest the town's folk think her crazy she added this: "He told me everything I've ever done!"

And, again, lest she come across as ridiculous, she throws out a possibility that will pique their curiosity, "Could He be the Christ?"

She had no idea who would follow...but go with her they did...

Her invitation was simple:

"Here's what happened to me. You can experience Him, as well..."

She didn't beg. She didn't insist. She didn't plead. 

She simply extended the invitation.

And, many believed in the Lord Jesus Christ and were saved that day...

This is where my story runs parallel to the Woman at the Well.

I had an unbelievable encounter with Jesus Christ, when I was 17.

My life was drastically transformed in one heartbeat.

In my enthusiasm, I wanted everyone else to experience the Savior of the World.

My attempts at invitation seemed fanatical and a bit crazy to many.

But, new life in Christ can not be hushed.

It isn't my job to look back and see who is heeding the call to "Come, see..."

It's just my job to invite. 

This is the most important part of the story of the Samaritan Woman...

    When Jesus changes hearts, He also opens mouths, to declare His name and His gospel grace! 

Our stories matter because God is most glorified in them!!!

Warren Wiersbe says this in his commentary on the Gospel of John: 

"When you consider how little spiritual truth this woman knew, her zeal and witness put us to shame. But God used her simple testimony, and many of the people came out to the well to meet Jesus. The rabbis said, “It is better that the words of the law be burned than be delivered to a woman!” But Jesus did not agree with that narrow prejudice."

So..................there's more grace to be found at the Well...

Living Water never runs out - it's still available to all who will "come, see!"


No comments:

Post a Comment