Thursday, September 8, 2022

Identity and Humility (this blog comes with a WARNING LABEL)

I'm wondering, as I begin to type, when all is said and done with this morning's blog post, if it will be misconstrued…🤔

I certainly hope not, but I guess that will depend on how well my explanation moving forward.

This morning, I'm contemplating my identity in Christ and how this relates to humility. 

Identity is not a new topic to me.

I speak on our identity in Jesus almost every time I do a women's retreat series. 

I've covered the topic multiple times in this blog...scroll back to August of 2012, and there's an entire series of "i am" being changed by the "I AM..."

Knowing who we are in Christ is incredibly important for Jesus-Followers.

As I start to know and understand who I am IN CHRIST, I walk out the Christian life with more confidence, I live loved, I remain steadfast....and pride takes a backseat at the table, while humility is strengthened. 

Because He is a good, good Father, I am a beloved Child of God.

Because He is Creator, I have been sculpted in His image, which means He sees me as valuable and has a  unique purpose for my existence.

Because He is King of Kings, I am royalty (& the King delights in my beauty...even if I am getting older and more wrinkly).

I think you get the idea. 

My life is different because HE IS THE I AM WHO LIVES IN ME.

Knowing our Identity in Christ should leave us in AWE and WONDER!

Reflecting on this truth, makes me ask these questions, "Who am I? Who am I that I am loved by the King of the Universe? Who am I that I've been forgiven and set free? Who am I that the Sovereign God over All keeps watch over me?" 

It's beyond comprehension...for in comparison to who God is, I AM NOTHING!

Knowing our Identity in Christ should humble us! ALWAYS...

You're probably thinking, there is a "BUT" coming...

...and you are right.

My "BUT" centers around a question of disproportionate theology. 

In other words, I am asking myself, do I have a tendency to lean so far in one direction regarding the issue of identity in Christ, that I fail to be biblically sound...or, bask in the teaching to stroke my ego and, thus,  become more prideful? 

Because, if I do, what happens is that my emphasis on receiving the warm fuzzies that come with embracing my identity in Christ, can lead to pride masquerading as spirituality.

Pride is subtle. 

Pride loves to put on a spiritual mask. 

Without even realizing it, I can become prideful as I receive the positive affirmations that come straight to me out of God's VERY Word! 

If  I’m feeling unloved - God's Word is there to remind me just how beloved I am...and before I know it, I'm basking in His love out of a heart of pride...

If I fearing rejection, God's Word reminds me that the Lord is always FOR ME, always receives me unto Himself; and, before I know it, the truths of His Word are pats on my back to stroke my pride...

If I'm feeling worthless...He reminds me I am worthy because He lives in me; but when it becomes about me and my value and acceptance, rather than HIS WORTH...it's pride.

Again, these concepts of love, and acceptance, and worthiness are TRUTHS to which we should cling, but am I turning them into self-righteous-pride, as opposed to allowing them to humble me? 

GOD'S GREAT GRACE toward me is not simply for my own spiritual "feel-good-about-me!" 

Nope.

GOD'S GREAT GRACE is to motivate me to live out what the Lord has created me to be...His holy, sanctified, HUMBLE vessel. 

With that I am reminded (AGAIN) of this quote from Andrew Murray:

So, yes, yes, yes!!!! Identity is important...very important!!!

...and, every morning, we should wake up, look in the mirror and remind ourselves that we are (exactly as we are when we step out of bed in the morning), God's beloved child. We are royalty, because we have been chosen as daughters of the King of Kings. We are blessed beyond measure, forgiven, blameless, set apart as a vessel of honor, set free from the bondage of sin, victorious overcomers, and we hold the hope of heaven always before us. There is a time and place for us to declare our identity and live in it...

Then, we should get dressed, wash our face, put on our makeup, brush our hair, straighten our crowns, grab our swords, and

DISAPPEAR INTO THE HOLINESS OF GOD!


1 comment:

  1. So good and so timely as I begin another Bible study with a very new group of women here on base! May I not be prideful in anything, but give God all the glory He deserves! Thanks Peg!❤️

    ReplyDelete