Thursday, December 15, 2022

Tis the Season to Remember....Laundry, Jesus, and Joy

He is Immanuel - God With Us

This week I chatted on the phone with a dear friend in California, who moved away from Pagosa several years ago.

Let me share with you how dear of a friend she is.

Many years ago, when I had very little life, because I was teaching school full time, helping run a youth center (full time), chasing my kids around to sporting events (yes, full time), and still filling the "wife-role,"  I often felt snowed under all the little odds and ends that come with each assignment.

Some things had to drop by the way-side, and for me, it was the laundry.

The one chore I dislike more than most chores.

So, one morning, I sorted the laundry in piles on the floor in front of my washing machine. 

I kid you not, the entire floor was covered with piles....BIG PILES (like the one above).

I threw in one load, and left the rest for when I got home from school, in between watching my son and youngest daughter play basketball.

BUT...those piles of laundry weighed heavy on me.

I felt a little desperate, as if someone buried me underneath them....how suffocating!

So, I began my day as if carrying the weight of the world, dragging my feet, which meant my soul was dragging, too. 

Someone once said: 

When clutter reigns in your home, it's an indication of a cluttered life.

Hmmmmm.....

Well..........that was me this particular morning, and I DON'T DO CLUTTER WELL (at all!).

So, when I arrived at school, I couldn't help complaining about the laundry piles to my part-time, co-teacher (this dear friend).

Some things just have to be shared, and it was common for us to talk about the ups and downs of our lives.

Smile (that's what dear friends are for, right?)...

That afternoon, after I'd finished all things school, I headed for home dreading the laundry I needed to face, before going to the gym.

However, when I arrived at home, a laundry-elf had been there...

The floor was empty of piles.

The washer and dryer empty of clothes.

Everything had been washed, folded, stacked, and waited patiently to be delivered to their proper home. 

THAT'S HOW DEAR THIS FRIEND IS...she and her husband both had the afternoon free. Instead of spending time doing something fun, they spent their day washing, drying, folding MY LAUNDRY.

I can't begin to tell you the release from bondage I felt. 

The fullness of joy that replaced my slavery to laundry! 

I truly sat down and wept over the freedom from endless hours of work and the fresh start I'd been given.

Of course, as you are quite aware, there is a spiritual analogy here...

That's what Jesus came to do...to deliver us, not from the bondage of dirty laundry, but from the slavery of our sinful selves. 

The manger was just the beginning -

We needed the manger, so we could have the cross and, ultimately, the resurrection.

The manger is unique and special.

The cross and the resurrection are life transformational.

And...

if having my laundry problem swept clean brought me such joy, how much greater having my sin problem swept clean? 

We've passed the third Sunday in Advent.

The JOY-candle has been lit.

If you can't tell, I'm contemplating the incredible gift of Jesus that fills my heart with astonishing JOY!

Slow down.

Don't drop baby Jesus...

But! Don't forget the reason for the season...

Ponder.

Feel the joy of Christmas!

#simplycelebratejesus

1 comment: