Thursday, January 19, 2023

Desert Roads

 Yesterday, I went for a walk in the desert, following some 4-wheel-drive/ATV path. 

We’re staying with our daughter and son-in-law in Casa Grande for a few days, while we finish up our annual board meeting, here in AZ where the temps are warmer than most places. 


I’ve always enjoyed the desert, this time of year…

The rattlers are sleeping.

The things that bite you, eat you, or sting you are scarce. 

The sun is warm, but not excruciatingly desert-hot. 

However, my attitude definitely shifts in regards to the desert places, come about May…

The desert turns miserable…in EVERY(!) WAY (!).



I’m also intrigued at what thrives in desert terrains —— it’s all prickly stuff. 


Only “prickly” stuff seems to survive in the desert. 


Pictorial-point in case:





This got me thinking. 


Sometimes, it’s only prickly people who seem to survive the desert places (metaphorically speaking), as well.


Right?


We’ve all heard, or muttered the term, at one time or another:  


Hurt people, hurt people.


Meaning: Those who’ve gone through the hard of the desert places in life tend to become “prickly,” and do what they do best - prick anyone else who gets too close to them. 


That…or, they isolate… 


…or, in recent years, they “deconstruct” their long held belief systems (thinking they’ll find a better path than the one they’re walking)…


All these things obtain the same results.


These are protective mechanisms; we all know it; they know it; but, the fear of getting too close to something that might sting or “put the squeeze on” (definition of a “trial” in life), or result in suffering is VERY REAL. 


I know, though, this doesn’t have to be the case. 


You know it, too.


We all know folks who have gone through suffering, trials, persecution, hardship…walked desert roads…and come out on the other side more loving, more compassionate, more understanding, kind, and helpful. 


Their pain concluded with purpose, and the Lord, indeed, worked it all for some “good.” 




I was reminded, while out walking in the desert yesterday, of the Casting Crowns song (“Healer” album), which showed up on the CCM scene in 2022: Desert Road. 


Here’s a YouTube Link.


Here are a portion of the lyrics: 

“I don’t wanna write this song

I don’t want this pain to be my story

I don’t want this desert road

Are You sure this is the plan that You have for me?

Out here in the dust and clay

God, if there’s a bigger picture

It’s gettin’ hard to see today

But I know that You won’t leave me here


I don’t know where this is goin’

But I know who holds my hand

It’s not the path I would’ve chosen

But I’ll follow You to the end

Lord, as long as I am breathin’

I will make Your glory known

Even if it means I’m walking’ on this desert road…



It’s obvious, the writer of this song’s lyrics, understands desert roads. 


He doesn’t like it…questions if it’s supposed to be this way…would love for it to change…


(Does a great job of lamenting!)


BUT…


Here’s the difference…


Instead of staying in the complaint, this child-of-God has determined to REMEMBER…


REMEMBER the Lord. who is on the road with him.


REMEMBER why the Lord created Him…for His glory (even on a desert road). 



Desert roads are a part of life.


We can allow them to make us prickly…


Or, we can allow them to transform us into better servants, using the hard-stuff for good-reasons. 


As I type this, I have a dear friend walking a desert road.


It’s had twists and turns, ups and downs, bright days and, lately, some pretty discouraging ones.


Her path put her in a wheel chair not too long ago…


…and, this desert road (we already know) leads her the rest of the way over Jordan. 


But, she’s teaching all of us what it looks like to die well. 


She’s clinging to the Hope of Heaven who is holding tightly to her hand.


With every difficult breath, she’s making God’s glory known.



And with her best hand, she’s raising it in a “hallelujah”…for she REMEMBERS that amidst all the prickly stuff in the desert, the Lord has been a GOOD GOOD FATHER! 


For years I’ve been saying, Jesus-followers need a good theology of suffering.


We need to know what we know we believe, especially in these current days.


I don’t want to be prickly when I’m asked to walk a desert road… 


I prefer to live pleasantly…


So, if I say I need a theology of suffering (even though I think I have one nailed down), I probably ought to do a little studying and settling my mind and heart on exactly what I believe. 


We’ll see where this all leads…these posts are pretty random thoughts, after all. 



So, here's to knowing what I believe and why I believe it!


No comments:

Post a Comment