Thursday, April 6, 2023

Suffering: The Battle for our Hearts

Happy Easter, all!

*****

Knowing that suffering is a "when" and not an "if," causes me to tarry at verses that speak of it. 

Ponder them.

File them away for future use.

In Paul Tripp's book, "Suffering," he says, "Suffering has a tendency to redefine who we think God is and what we think our walk with Him is all about." 

Then, he expounds, "Remember that a theology of suffering found in Scripture is never, ever an end in itself, but is designed as a means to the end of real comfort, real direction, real protection, real conviction, and real hope." 

Our theology helps us be ready for the WHEN. 

So, here are the verses I landed on this week and what they taught me.

As you read them, hear your Suffering Savior's voice, as He whispers intimately in your ear:

"Fear none of those things which you will suffer...(rather) be faithful (Revelation 2:10a, 11a)."

My interpretation: 

Don't let your trials, tribulations, sicknesses, sufferings, pain and problems scare you away from believing and receiving God's promises. 

Again, Tripp: 

"Too many of us, while battling the cause of our suffering, forget to battle for our hearts."

In the middle of the mess, it's so easy to let our doubts get the best of us. 

It's so easy to let unbelief, and a lack of trust, creep in and steal away what Scripture tells us about our God. 

All of a sudden, in comparison to the problem, a small God emerges.

He is to blame.

He could have.........and, He didn't.

He allowed this to happen....

I prayed...He didn't hear or answer.

The one thing, I began to realize this past week: 

Suffering uncovers, unveils, lays bare the reality of my belief system. 

A week ago Tuesday, out of the blue, I stood up to walk from our family room into the kitchen, when the room started moving in circles. 

Spinning like a fast merry-go-round, I grabbed on to something stationary to stop it, but it just kept whirling. 

Oh, I knew exactly my problem.

I'd experienced the same thing a few years back: vertigo.

Somehow, I made it to the kitchen, grabbed a drink of water, but simply sunk to the floor to station myself against a cabinet - 1) in hopes that I could fix my eyes on a single point and slow the mental tornado down, and 2) not throw up. 

Nope.

Didn't work.

Bay walked me back to the comfort of the couch in the family room, where being as still and quiet, as possible, at least steadied me. 

While he visited with some company that came to the door, I reflected on this sudden change in my "normal."

The "what ifs..." that show up, immediately...

Mine: "What if this doesn't go away by tomorrow? I don't have time for this..."

"What if it never goes away?"

I began to recognize one truth for certain: I definitely am prone to take my health for granted.

In fact, I assume I'll wake up each morning (with no more than the normal aches and pains of getting older) and be about my business.

However, the greater reality I began to wrestle with is this - what if those what ifs became my new normal? 

How would I respond to the Lord? 

Would I still trust Him without wondering what kind of God allows suffering? 

Would I live in fear or remain faithful?

How would this change, or would it, my belief system?

So, that evening, vertigo became more of a spiritual battle than a physical concern.

A battle to remember at all times, in all circumstances, to give thanks to the Lord who created me, and invites me daily to place my trust in Him alone.

I discovered trust for the Lord within my heart, yes, but found I also trusted in my health and my ability to control it, which is ridiculous.

I settled this quickly within my heart: In all things, God is sovereign...and, in every valley of suffering through which I may walk, His Grace is ever-present, and, the depth of His love my constant. 

He is a very present help in times of trouble.

"Scripture never looks down on the sufferer, it never mocks his pain, it never turns a deaf ear to his cries, and it never condemns him for his struggle. It presents to the sufferer a God who understands, who cares, who invites us to come to him for help, and who promises one day to end all suffering of any kind once and forever (Tripp)."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this priceless reminder. So many times suffering has provided me with an opportunity to have a real heart check! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a great reminder Peggy! God is sovereign! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete