Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Slow of Heart? or a Burning Heart?

This week I'm speaking and counseling at a retreat for global women from around the world who've gathered at Copper Mountain Ski Resort.

What an incredible setting for women who are tired and need to process their overseas experiences.

I love everything about this kind of ministry:

   - the shared experiences of having lived in a different culture

   - the instant connections made

   - the privilege of listening to and holding the stories of these precious gals

   - the silliness and the laughter

   - the tears and the tender hugs

   - the quieted hearts as women melt into the Lord's presence during private personal sanctuary time

   - their worship as they sing to the Lord in their heart language

   - constant chatter over meals

   - the deep appreciation for gifts that show up at their tables each morning

   - and, genuine gratitude for meaningful Bible teaching

As I prepared each morning for my speaking sessions, I began with my own personal reflection time.

I turned to where I left off reading through the Psalms.

This particular morning, it seemed the Lord opened my eyes to a passage of Scripture that I'd not really noticed before. 

AND, it was a fresh insight, with a little different slant, to what I'd planned to be teaching on in the next session.

As I explored the verse, researched some of the Hebrew words, and unraveled its meaning in context with what came before and what followed, I knew I had just had a personal encounter with the Spirit of the Living Lord.

It was as if He'd bent low and whispered new information into my ear...information I found myself getting so! very! excited! to share!

It reminded me of the encounter Jesus had with His disciples on the road to Emmaus (Read Luke 24:13-35).

You know the story. 

As these grieving men walked together with the Lord, their eyes were blinded and they did not recognize Him. 

Yet, as He opened the Word and interpreted the Scriptures to them, He revealed Himself as the Christ, the One come from God to save their souls.

As Jesus concluded His interpretation to them, their eyes were then opened and they recognized Him.

Immediately He vanished from their sight. 

I loved their response: 

"Did not our hearts burn within us as He talked to us (v. 32)..."

The fun part of this is that the Spirit of Jesus still does the same thing.

He loves speaking to us and interpreting Scripture for us.

He delights in my listening and understanding and connecting the dots to what's happening in my life.

Besides that - it is one of the best gifts I can receive.

Jesus speaks my love language, and not much is as exciting. 

Jesus is still Lord of the Burning Heart. 

However, as I type this and glance at the Scriptures on the screen opened next to me, I notice something else. 

In verse 25 as they were explaining to Jesus about His own crucifixion, burial, and "rumored resurrection," Jesus explicitly tells them  that they are "slow of heart" to not believe what the prophets had spoken about Him.

What a contrast!

The same is true for me. I can either be "of the Burning Heart" or "of the Slow Heart."

I know what Jesus hopes for me, because it always results in deeper intimacy with Him, and I will be richly blessed.

The thing is some mornings I come expectant, ready, available and listening for His voice...

And other days, it's as if I don't ever expect to meet Him on my "Emmaus Road," even though I've met Him there before.

This all changes when I begin by asking the Lord to open my blinded eyes to His Presence and wait expectantly. 

What about you? 

Do you experience a "Burning Heart" (the kind conversation with Jesus gives) or are you more of a "slow heart" kind of person (slow to believe)? 

What an invitation the Lord extends to us: "Come and draw near and I will draw near to you!"

As near as your heart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment