Thursday, September 14, 2023

Beach-Living, Foghorn-Blowing, Warnings

I grew up on the coast of Oregon. 

I woke (what seemed like) every morning to the foghorn bellowing from below the cliff on which my home sat. 

I didn't realize until recently that federal and international laws require them as a crucial navigational tool, preventing many a shipwreck.

These horns provide fair warning to those sailing in the thick soup of foggy weather, that craggy coastlines or other dangerous obstacles are near. 

Interestingly, from something I read not long ago, the actual sound can be heard for up to 20 miles off shore.

As a kid, the sound seemed haunting and fearful, matching the ghost-like quality of the mist as it silently moved in from sea to land. 

As I grew older, I grew resentful of it....the sound told me today would be another cold, dreary day on the coast (I'm definitely a gal who loves the sunshine). 

Over time, I learned to tune out the warnings...simply because of the familiarity. 

Now when I hear it, the familiarity of the sound brings a measure of comfort and peace...it symbolizes the sound of home: safe and protective.

No question, trying to navigate by boat, or by vehicle, through the thick mist of fog is crippling.

Ultimately, fair warnings bring great appreciation.

As I was reflecting on the absence of that low, mournful morning sound and the smell of coastal air, which I exchanged for my mountain home, it crossed my mind that we could use a spiritual foghorn...

Something bringing Jesus-folks fair warning that danger lurks nearby, as our "faith boat" sails toward craggy shores and potential shipwreck.

Of course, I mused, we have one, if we dared to heed and not tune it out.

It comes in the form of a book - God's Holy Book!

Yet, a 2021 Barna report shows only 9% of self-identified "Christians" possess a Biblical Worldview, believing the Bible to be accurate and reliable (Barna report), and only 1/3 of pastors spend time routinely reading and personalizing it. 

Barna goes on in his article to give an urgent plea to us all to know, teach, live out the truth of the Scriptures. 

He adds this (which makes the significance of the research stated above actually even more beyond belief): 

"Too often...people who want a certain reputation or image embrace the label 'Christian,' regardless of their spiritual life and intentions. 'Christian' has become somewhat of a generic term rather than a name that reflects a deep commitment to passionately pursuing and being like Jesus Christ."

The foghorn blasts with warning for us all.

It mourns loudly as the crippling fog rolls toward shore, and we don't acknowledge its clear and present danger.

It signals a dreary outcome unless we turn to heed its cry (read this quote by Whitefield carefully).

It rings out a hope that says home is close, offering up an earnest plea to gather as many together as we have opportunity to present the gospel.

XXXX

This blog started with one thing in mind and the Lord seemed to give it a life of its own...or maybe a LIFE OF HIS OWN. 

So, perhaps next week, I'll head the direction I originally intended: it's just so easy to grow up in a foggy world, where sunshine is rare, believing that's all that life offers.  What a shock to my system when I realized there is MORE TO THIS LIFE!

For now:

The foghorn is blowing. Will we hear it; or will we ignore it, simply because we (in general) have stopped taking God at His EvErY Word?


Remember, fair warning gives way to great appreciation when heeded!




No comments:

Post a Comment