Thursday, August 1, 2024

Lessons From Those Who've Gone Before

It's always of interest to me, when I start studying a subject (in this case the development of a Theology of Suffering), how often my path crosses with someone else who is studying the same thing.

Frequently, I'm led to more reading and research that I seem to stumble across.

I know this isn't random.

The Lord has His ways of assisting our growth, especially since He has directed it.

It's also heart-warming to me, that I'm not alone in my concerns or observations regarding the need to increase in knowledge.

Earlier this week, one of our former dorm students, now serving back overseas with his family, sent us their regular update. 

In his letter, he wrote:

Theology of Mundane and Suffering

Some of you may remember our desire to research ways to help the younger generation of missionaries understand the theology of the mundane and the theology of suffering.  Although this is a general assessment (there are exceptions), we have noticed a high enthusiasm and passion for sharing Jesus, but a lack of stick-to-it-iveness. How can we better prepare new people for long-term service? After lots of reading, praying, and conversations our conclusion became far simpler than we imagined.  The solution is understanding the gospel well. That’s it. That’s all. It’s all there. A bigger question is why is that missing so many?  Nevertheless, reading any missionary biography you can get your hands on is worth it... It’s important that our young people form the correct theology of suffering, and embracing the ordinary life, before heading to the field. From our reading, the one book I’d recommend to anyone, not just a new missionary, is, “A Gospel Primer” by Milton Vincent...


Interestingly, not more than a week ago, I downloaded Milton Vincent's book, recommended by another dear friend serving at a Bible college in New Brunswick.



Coincidence? Never.


A God-incidence? Absolutely!


One of the other things our former dorm son recommends is reading biographies of other missionaries.


There's another point in common. I've been doing the same, and have found myself reading and re-reading the biographies of some incredible men and women who served faithfully, in spite of difficulty.


These two things (1) utnderstanding the gospel of grace and 2) learning from those whose road map we can follow) are two very practical ways for developing our theology of suffering. 


In fact, the writer of Hebrews, after sharing a long list of men and women who grace the Hall of Faith (Chapter 11), and encouraging readers to run the race of faith with endurance (Chapter 12), instructs us all with the following in Chapter 13:7.


Remember your leaders (referring to those who've gone before), who spoke the Word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.



This I've done as I've read story after story of men and women whose lives are worthy of emulating.


A few notes I've jotted down as I "considered the outcome of their way of life," showed their lives overlapping in some general ways as they regarded sorrow and suffering, trials and tribulations, problems and persecutions.


Following is my short list.


As I've read their stories-of-steadfastness, I've worked through some practical application for myself.


Among each of these who breathed life into my soul through their faith-filled-lives, I discovered commonalities:


The gospel of Jesus Christ, which they each embraced, was worth any sacrifice if even one came to faith and escaped the judgment to come.

There was an absolute awareness The Lord was ALWAYS Present with them. 

There was a general belief that God owed them nothing, since He had already given them EVERYTHING pertaining to life and godliness...NOT EVEN AN EASY LIFE.


They each lived firmly in their identity in Christ Jesus, finding immense value in WHOSE THEY WERE, and it changed WHAT THEY LIVED FOR...  


Their "WHY" was their focus, and they never deviated from it. Their calling was sure and there was a longing to glorify God on this earth. One wrote:


"When I began to live for a purpose beyond my own vicious ambition, I saw a glimpse of pure joy and I wanted more..." 


Their hope was in the Prince of Peace, not the temporary peace found in this world.


Their eyes were ever upward, constantly looking for their Redeemer, who would one day stand again upon this earth. 



In every life-story, there was a hard leaning into this comforting passage from Habakkuk 3:16-17. In fact, these words seemed to be the life-song of each one:


Though the fig tree should not blossom,

nor fruit be on the vines,

the produce of the olive fail

and the fields yield no food...

Though the flock be cut off from the fold,

and there be no herd in the stalls...

YET I WILL REJOICE IN THE LORD;

I WILL TAKE JOY IN THE GOD OF MY SALVATION.


In my own words, if there is one theme I gleaned it would be this:


We will all run the race at a different pace,

But let us carry on and finish strong.


So, today, which torch from these who have gone before do you most need to pick up and carry? 


XXXXXX

 

Isobel Kuhn

Amy Carmichael

Darlene Diebler Rose

Helen Roseveare

Elisabeth Elliot

Hudson Taylor

David Livingstone

Mary Slessor

Eric Liddell

"Bruchko"

Martin and Gracia Burnham




"I think one of the devil's favorite devices is to try and make us dwell on the hardness of things in general, and to make us feel as if they will always go on like this. BUT THEY WILL NOT. They are shadows that pass.  This current shadow will pass. So, let's not lose hope. Let's press on, resting in truth and responding in faith, knowing our God always has, and will work everything for our good and His glory."


Amy Carmichael

No comments:

Post a Comment