Monday, August 15, 2011

I Am...So What?


One of the benefits of blogging is that the writer of said blog gets to set the parameters.  As the writer, I am free to stop and start wherever & whenever I want.  I am free to be late (as I have been the last two weeks).  As well, I am free to change my mind.  There is quite a bit of power in this flexibility.  I like that aspect of blogging.  So, here’s the deal.  We are about half way through the “I Am’s” of Jesus.  As I’ve gone back and read the past posts, I’ve asked myself the question, “So what?”  I don’t mean it to be disrespectful of Jesus; I simply want this to be practical. 

Now, I realize in the introduction to this so-called series, I mentioned the why and wherefore of the journey upon which I was about to embark.  I hope I conveyed the message that knowing our Lord was equivalent to trusting Him.  In other words, knowing Him increased my trust capacity.  I also mentioned that it was quite proportionate to my capacity to love Him.  Knowing = trusting; and trusting = loving.  Simple formula of a = b.

However, here’s another formula for you (in fact, you might remember this from math).  A + B = C.  I love it when the Christian life can be simplified to a math formula.  Let me explain! 

Everyday I meet with young women who struggle with their identity.  This wrestling manifests itself in a variety of ways – and it is not always healthy (spiritually, physically, emotionally, etc).  As I stopped to ask the “So what?” question, it dawned on me that these “I Am’s” are part of the answer to the identity crisis of a majority of us.  Here’s why.  If I know WHO HE IS (A) then I know WHO I AM (B).  Add these thoughts together and we get one who is COURAGEOUSLY walking this life in Christ. WHO HE IS + WHO I AM = COURAGE. 

HE IS:  The Messiah/Savior/Deliverer          +         I Am:  Free  =                     
Therefore, I live as if I’m free.

HE IS:  Gentle & Humble in Heart        +        I Am: At Rest  =
Therefore, I live in restful submission.

HE IS:  YHWH                  I Am:  Secure  =
Therefore, I don’t have to be a slave to my insecurities.

HE IS:  With Me Always      +      I Am:  Able    =                      
Therefore, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and do not live as a slave to my fear.

HE IS:  The Bread of Life      +      I am:  Complete, Full, Satisfied  =
Therefore, I do not look anyplace else to have my needs met.

HE IS:  A Servant         +        I am:  A Servant  =
Therefore, I extend grace even to those who might treat me harshly, break my heart, or threaten to betray me.

So what?  That’s what!  It's as simple and as important as A + B = C             

No comments:

Post a Comment