Monday, August 29, 2011

I Am...The Way

One of my most vivid, and worrisome, memories occurred several years ago as I was driving to one of my very first speaking events.  To start with, I don’t think the enemy was particularly happy about me embarking on a new season of ministry. So, using one of his familiar tactics, figured if he could frighten me enough, I might just turn around, give up, and forget the whole idea.  I’d been on the mountain roads of Colorado that late November afternoon only about 20 minutes, when it began to snow.  Within another ten minutes, I experienced a thorough white-out.  The snow was sticking to the roads, and I couldn’t see where the side lines were, not to mention the center line.  The wind was blowing, and as the flakes whirled into my windshield, I found it a particularly daunting task to stay focused.  Add to this, the fact that the vehicle I was driving wasn’t exactly equipped for four-wheel driving, or icy roads.  Yes, I was frightened.  Mostly frightened because I had no idea where I was, where I was really going (I’d never been to this location before), or how far I had to go.  My way was obscured and unknown.  The total length of the trip should have only taken me about 2 hours.  However, as the sun descended in the sky, and the temperatures along with it, I had to stop about every 10 minutes, flick my windshield wipers and brush off my headlights from the ice build-up.  At times, I could make out car tracks from a recent vehicle that had gone ahead of me, but for the most part, I was on my own to make my way to the lodge where this women’s retreat was being held.  A 2-hour trip ended up taking me 4 hours.  Fortunately, I’d left in plenty of time, and walked in just in time to step up and speak.  Not so easy, for someone who was just beginning to venture out of her comfort zone in this arena! (By the way, it was a great retreat, and God did some amazing things!)

So, I can relate to Thomas, when he said to Jesus, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”  (This following Jesus’ advance-notice that he was going to depart and prepare a place for them...).  Jesus answered, “I am the way...”  What a gift! 

I don’t know any of us who like uncertainty.  We all struggle with making decisions (little and big).  All of us want someone to show us the way: the what, the where, the why, the when, the how, yes, even the who...  Like you, I wish I knew God’s will for my future.  The Lord gave us a great reassurance with these words, literally translated, “I am the road on which you should travel.”  He, Himself, will lead us (Psalm 23).  He, Himself, will make our paths straight (Hebrew translation can also be: good, right, level, pleasing in Proverbs 3:5-6).  He will do it for His name’s sake (Ps 23:3). 

So, there should not be an aura of fear in uncertainty, but rather a hopeful spirit of adventure.  For the one who knows you best, and loves you most, does indeed have a plan for your life  (Jeremiah 29:11).  As you drive through life’s snow storms, one inch of road at time, stopping to flick your windshield wipers, wipe off your headlights, re-gather your focus, fix your eyes on Him, He is sure to bring you to a spacious place (Ps. 18:19). 

As for God, His way is perfect...It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.  He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights.
Ps 18:30, 32,33

He is THE WAY (A)  +  I am DESTINED (B)  =  Therefore, I look to the future without hesitancy, knowing my WAY has a grand adventure waiting for me up ahead (C).

No comments:

Post a Comment