Monday, December 31, 2012

A New Year Reflection


I can relate to this following quote on many levels: "I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" (Ernest Hemingway)

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
― Ernest Hemingway
It’s been a “Hemingway” kind-of-week already.  I started the week watching Paris after Midnight.  I loved the portrayal of Hemingway, by the way. His character spoke much like I thought Hemingway must have talked.  Short sentences. Succinct.  Filled with meaning – sort of.  Then this morning, I ran across two Hemingway quotes.  One by accident as I was looking for a quote on “fall” (as in the season – do you see the irony in this?), the other from the source of all great and wise quotes: FaceBook (also note the picture above that was with the quote).   Hemingway really has nothing to do with this blog, but his second quote does.

Life is a journey.  Mine has been quite a journey.  Never a dull moment.  Full of valleys and mountains.  Highs and lows.  Ups and downs.  Joy and sorrow.  Confusion and peace.  Clutter, chaos, and calm.  I’ve been here and there, in the know and out of it (mostly out of it).  It’s been good; it’s been bad; it’s been amazing!  You know...it’s been...life.  Just like yours.  All journeys have an end – mine will come one day when I “cross over the Jordan” and “walk  through those pearly gates,” and enter the “mansion” currently being built.  I look forward to that day, but Hemingway is right, it’s not about the end, not really, it’s about the journey.  Most of the time, I would love it if my journey looked like the one above, clear roads, beautiful sunrise, straight shot ahead.  However, that’s not been my experience.  Most of the time, my journey has been more like bush-whacking.  It’s not very clear.  I don’t really know what’s ahead...and it’s hard to see the amazing sunrise/sunset.  It’s hard to see the “forest for the trees (no pun intended).” 
David Livingstone, whose heart beat, profoundly, for the people in Africa, was criticized for going into the unknown dark world.  When he started sending back reports, one of the mission organizations who had repeatedly turned him down for financial support, and been most critical of his mission efforts, sent him a telegram (something similar to a fax, for those who don’t know about telegrams).  It said something to this effect, “We’d like to send other men to you (stop) – Have you found good roads into your area yet (stop)”   His reply?  Well, it probably didn’t soften their hearts and win them over.  I don’t much like it, either. "If you have men who will only come if there is a good road, I don't want them (stop)  I want men who will come if there is no road at all (stop)” 

Sometimes, God is full of grace, and gives us good clear roads.  Most days, it’s, well, it’s a journey into the unknown.  It’s called “adventure.”  It’s called...LIFE!  But, here’s the reminder the Lord gave me this morning about the adventure of the journey:

Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go (Joshua 1:9).
You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand (Ps. 16:11).

As for God, His way is perfect (2 Sam 22:31a)
The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore (Ps 121:8).

Welcome to 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment