Monday, November 24, 2014

I.Will.Not.Let.Satan.Stop.Me.From.My Joy-Job!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:1-2



Those are such great verses.  I hope you read every word carefully. In fact, even if you did, would you glance back up at the top, stop, and read it again, slowly, emphasizing each word. What a jam-packed passage filled with a GOOD WORD for so many situations in which we find ourselves. However, I’ve been battling the shame-factor, AGAIN, and this is the verse I’m using as my attack-plan.

Here’s the first thing that struck me: Jesus gets our continual problem with shame. He understands it. When God penned these words about Jesus in Scripture through human hands, in every way tempted as we were, He meant IN.EVERY.WAY. Oh my goodness, the power of hearing the words, me, too!  As I read this verse to myself, I heard the soul-whisper of the Spirit of God: “Oh, Peg…me, too! Shame was my temptation, too. It springs out of our humanness. But, here’s the victory: LEARN TO DESPISE IT!” Is that not comforting?

As, I took some time to cross-reference, and do a little word-study, I, first, found the difference between Jesus’ shame and mine. His came from the reproach of others. People mocked him, tormented him, “made a mouth at him,” refused to believe him, and eventually crucified him. For me, shame doesn’t always come from anywhere but my own brain. I think too much. I contemplate what I think others are thinking, what I think they would say to me if they weren’t buttoning up their lips (or possibly being fakey, too-kind), and I start to respond as if it that were so. Confusing, right? But that’s one of the descriptors of all shame: (Greek – aischyne) the confusion of one who is ashamed, or feels disgraced, by anything. 

I am my own worst critic. However, the Lord has given me a model to follow with one word, despise (scorn). To despise, meaning to exercise the mind, to set an opinion about, to think against, to dis-esteem, to make a choice to think little or nothing of an event. There it is. There’s the key. Jesus made a choice to think nothing of the shame that came from the words and actions of ANYONE else, because He had a greater goal in mind. Jesus had a mission, a calling, which was taking him straight to the cross, and the right hand of the Father. That end was his joy, and He refused to let shame stop Him.

In my own little way, in your own little way, we are purposed for the Kingdom of Heaven, and on our way there, we have a job to do. Yes, a job that should be our joy! God has validated each of us with special gifts to bring Him glory, and point others to salvation. Of course, the enemy would love to silence our joy-job with shame! The Lord has made me/us to be vessels of honor, sanctified, set apart for the Master, and prepared for EVERY good work (2 Timothy 2:21-22).  Yet, if our enemy can weary us under the weight of a backpack of shame, he will do his very best.  Oh.my.goodness.

But, for the joy, Jesus endured…and He scorned…

Now, He says, “Child, focus on your joy-job, and do not dwell on reproach – not from others, but especially not your own made-up shame. Endure…and scorn. Lay it all down at my feet, and carry on. Shun the weariness and faintheartedness that comes with hauling around something so un-important, and, un-necessary!”

A verse further, and Scripture says, "...then, we will not grow weary and lose heart."  Of course, that's what the enemy wanted from Jesus in an attempt to keep Him from the cross.  Yes, it's what he knows will keep us wearied and discouraged, and so, will use to try and stop us in our tracks. So, NO! NO! NO! I.Will.Not.Let.Satan.Stop.Me.From.MY.Joy-Job!  I want to be all in. If so, I must fix my eyes on Jesus-my-role-model. Disregard shame. Press on with a "not-my-will-but-Yours, God" mantra. Here's to the end of shame!


Now, here’s my homework: to write out an anti-shame declaration to begin training my mind in order to disallow that awful thing from entering. When I write it out, I'll post it as an addendum to this thought...(I'll let you know if you're interested when it's up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment