Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Day 9...The Journey to #bebrave


We've been looking at common "Giants of Fear"... (Unpredictability/Loss of control, Scarcity)

This week is no different...and, this giant is quick to put us into bondage.

fear of man



I'm pretty certain, it's the most common giant I face.

As much as I have tried to overcome it, fear of man is a sleeping giant who raises his ugly head and intimidates me often.

I fear rejection,

disapproval,

betrayal,

failure.

I fear being ignored, invalidated, disliked, and unloved.

Here's how these  sub-fears from above manifest themselves:

I try harder, work longer, power-up....or, in a few cases, give up altogether.

I eliminate guardrails; and, let others drive my doings.

I attempt to re-create myself in the image I imagine the other person wants me to be...

I self-protect.

And, much of the time, isolate.

I fill my mind with negative beliefs, get defensive, and sometimes, now and again, I get angry.

The sage of Proverbs wrote these words (obviously, he struggled):


The fear of man lays a snare,
But whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
(Prov 29:25)

Sounds pretty bad.

It's even worse, when you look at the word picture for "snare."

It's more than a trap; it is a noose.

A noose to hang something by; or to lead away - like a leash.

Literally, the Old Testament word meant a hook for a nose.

Pretty disgusting, isn't it?

But let this sink in...

When we live in fear of what others think of us, or might do to us, we have allowed them to put (albeit, invisibly) a hook in our nose, and they are able to lead us ANYWHERE. THEY. WANT!!!

In fact, as a counselor, I've seen the repercussions of many a soul, who've been led down paths they never saw themselves going, and ended up in deep, dangerous waters....all because they wanted to please people.

Honestly, seeking approval is truly addicting.

We keep chasing it, always needing more.

What's the answer?

It appears to be the standard Sunday school response:  Jesus.

Trust Jesus.


Hide ourselves in Him.

Place ourselves fully in His arms, His will, His WAY...

The Apostle Paul must have been acquainted with this fear.

In Galatians 1:10, he wrote:


For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying. to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

The trust-answer for Paul shows up in the source of his approval.

Indeed, the answer was Jesus.

So, he switched allegiances from man to THE GOD-MAN.

Here's the hard truth...

When we live in the fear of man, instead of the fear of the Lord, we are placing our trust in a gospel that is contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The gospel of Jesus had changed Paul's life (just start reading Paul's testimony in Galatians 1).

Almost immediately he had eyes to see that the gospel of man is distorted, corrupt...perverted (Gal 1:7)...

To place my hope, my security, my identity in any INDIVIDUAL or group of individuals is to trust a gospel contrary to Jesus.

But to trust in Jesus is to trust His LOVING heart toward me.

And, to trust the Jesus who is love, is to cast out fear, and this plants our feet SOLIDLY on the road to #bebrave.


When the gospel truly grips my soul, I understand Jesus death, not only saved me for eternity, but gifted me with a new identity.

His love gave me a whole new set of "I AM's".

THE GREAT I AM is my new "I am..."

Here are a few:

I am a child of God (Jn 1:12).
I am justified (Rom 5:1) - just as if I've never sinned.
I am bought with a price (1 Cor 6.19-20); I belong to the Lord, and have been given great value.
I am a saint (Eph 1.1).
I am blessed (Eph 1.3-9).
I am redeemed, forgiven, chosen and blameless (Col 1.14).
I am complete in Christ (Col 2.10)
I am God's temple (1 Cor 3:16).
I am a minister of reconciliation (2 Cor 5:17-21).
I am seated with Christ in heavenly realms (Eph 2:6).
I am His workmanship created with good purpose (Eph 2.10).
I am able to approach God's throne with boldness and confidence (Eph 3.12).
I am assured all things work together for good (Rom 8:28).
I am lavishly (that's how the Lord wants us to feel) loved in the riches of His grace (Eph 1.7).

When I understand the fulness of His love, and the new identity He pours out into me, there is only ONE I TRULY WANT TO PLEASE.



(adapted from Isaiah 51:7)

A while back, in one of her twitter posts Lysa Terkheurs made the following statement. There is so much truth in it. Let it soak into your soul:

Lord, help us make peace with the fact we will disappoint people. 
Help us make peace with the fact other people will disappoint us. 
And give us the perspective that not every disappointment is epic. 

Oh, Christian, fighting this giant, "fear of man," is exhausting. Find your Sabbath Rest in the gospel of Jesus and the truth of your new identity in Him. Let's step onto the road to #bebrave together.






No comments:

Post a Comment