Monday, March 6, 2017

An Attitude Adjustment

Lent Day 6.

A central focus of Lent is prayer, as we "re-set our souls for Easter's Celebration."


To date spending concentrated time on prayer has reminded me:
1) Prayer is the way to spiritual aliveness and renewal.
2) Prayer reveals to me my great need of Jesus-mercy.
3) Prayer leads the way for worship and spiritual discipline.
4) Heart-rending, desperate prayer, begins with conviction.

Today, I've been reminded of this fact about Lenten Prayer:

Lent sets the stage for me to receive an attitude adjustment...
To obtain the "same mind that was in Christ Jesus."


The truth is my mind needs a paradigm shift. 
If I'm going to be more Christ-like, it starts right there. 

Let me put this in context. Sometimes reading familiar words from a different translation gives a fresh perspective. (From: Philippians 2:5-11New Century Version)

Be Unselfish Like Christ

In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus.
Christ himself was like God in everything.
    But he did not think that being equal with God was something to be used for his own benefit.
But he gave up his place with God and made himself nothing.
    He was born as a man
    and became like a servant.
And when he was living as a man,
    he humbled himself and was fully obedient to God,
    even when that caused his death—death on a cross.
So God raised him to the highest place.
    God made his name greater than every other name
10 so that every knee will bow to the name of Jesus—
    everyone in heaven, on earth, and under the earth.
11 And everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord
    and bring glory to God the Father.
Humility.
Obedience.
Sacrifice.
Service.

UNSELFISH!

That was Jesus' life-focus.
It's not mine. 
My natural inclination is selfish.
My normal mind-set is prideful.
Where sacrifice and service are concerned? Well, the thought makes me tired. My personal nature is lazy.
Where this list energized Jesus, I'm left lacking.

It's why I need a spiritual re-set. 
It's why I need Lent.
It's why Lent always starts with prayer.




No comments:

Post a Comment