Sunday, December 14, 2014

Advent Thoughts #15 - December 14

Yesterday, Luke's gospel led me Luke's other book, the Acts of the Holy Spirit, and in particular the life-changing, transformation of one named Saul, turned Paul. I loved the Lord's words to Ananias about Paul. Ananias was a little skittish when God came to him and asked him to go and lay hands on the man so that he might regain his sight. Rightly so, Ananias had heard much about the him, and how much evil he had done to God's saints, his brethren. So, God jumps all over Ananias for his doubt! (Of course not, I'm just checking to make sure you're really reading). God assures Ananias with these words, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name (Acts 9: 12-16). 

The words spoken are interesting enough, but one word in particular is intriguing. It's the word "carry," which means "to bear" (as in a woman "bearing a child"). Paul's call on his life was to be pregnant with the name of the Lord. And, just as a woman would "suffer" in child-birth, Paul would suffer the pains of bearing the name.

I've often related my salvation transformation to Paul's. I know, that sounds a bit prideful. Believe me, I recognize mine wasn't on the magnitude of Paul's (and I hadn't been quite as evil), but my life, my desires, my behavior all changed overnight. Most of all, I believed that night of my salvation, that God had placed a call on my life to "carry the name of the Lord" and to present Him in a way that others might KNOW HIM as I had come to know Him. That call is still vivid and clear. So, like Paul, my mission, our mission, as believers, is to "bear the name of Jesus" -

Where's this going? All that background to say this: Like Mary I am called to bear the Savior, to bring Him forth, the Savior of mankind. That led me to thinking back to Mary's response to her call: Mary's Magnificat. A call that important requires a proper response!

Tomorrow: MY MAGNIFICAT!

I'm wondering...have you ever written yours? What a great time of year to do so, don't you think! Advent is near!




No comments:

Post a Comment